Thursday, December 01, 2011

An interesting departure............first ever RPG !!

Played my first ever role playing game at Stephens tonight with 3 other 'adventurers'. Using Middle Earth role play system (good for me as at least I had a recognizable frame of reference) Continuation of an adventure the others had been playing earlier in the year. I was a Rider of Rohan named Frealof riding his war horse Skallagrim armed with a Spear, Short Sword and a Crossbow (I pictured him as a lesser Eomer). My role play had me as a direct straight talking if somewhat tactless individual (this role was written with me in mind perhaps and requiring minimal roleplay), also a stoic and fearless warrior. A very enjoyable night (not least for social aspect) with an interesting scenario.....sorry adventure...... and some action against a couple of marauding Trolls.
Fantasy type stuff not my forte or preferred option but definitely a fun game and a nice diversion from 'proper' wargaming plus who doesn't like Lord Of Rings universe. System quite intuitive to play but lots of table cross referencing involved to generate actions, monsters etc. Glad to see we used miniatures to represent our alter egos especially helpful when it came to combat as aid to visualizing relative positions of characters and actions. Since I like wargames to have a narrative type structure or background it was easy to enjoy a game based primarily on this aspect. I guess I essentially role play to an extent in most wargames anyhow whether consciously or unconsciously (I really must stop shouting out loud during games !) so again easy slip into the required 'mode'. Different feel to a game where you represent a single character as part of a team and without massed ranks or units. Bit like a very low level skirmish game.
Hopefully the rest of the chaps enjoyed (endured ?) my participation and look forward to continuing the saga. Not so sure I would continue to blog about as not a big visual feast but maybe key incidents might inspire me  to.


  

5 comments:

  1. I think it has a place so long as you are interested in sharing. Roleplaying and 'Normal' wargaming often are bad relations. Well known wargamers giiving it a go can help withthe image, not all roleplayers are snotty nosed kids, but then again I have not Roleplayed for a long time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Played a lot of D&D back in HS, and again in Medical school my last 2 years - In Medical School, Dave Sweet was the GM, and another of the players was the State Insurance Commissioner - good contact for an MD in the making! Another player was the original designer of the Boardgame Axis and Allies (the predecessor to the MB version - he sold the rights to them). I had one and only one bit of advice in the development of that game - make it play to a conclusion in 3 hours or less!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, I'm playing an RPG today by playing a character who is nice to Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the dark side. RPGing is what got me started in wargaming back in the 80s. In recent years, I've started up D&D again, this time with the guys I played with so long ago. And our kids. It's been a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a lot more fun that I was expecting although I dont really like magic use as a concept and likely down to a good bunch of players (all Wargamers). Certainly up for playing again but if choice is RPG or Wargame its the latter every time pour moi.

    ReplyDelete