Thursday, August 17, 2017

Field Of Battle - Stones River ACW game

Field Of Battle game at Le Ducs (http://warfareintheageofcynicsandamateurs.blogspot.co.uk/) using his 20mm ACW figures (some nostalgic figures !) using a Fire and Fury scenario covering Stones River battle again this time as Federals (I played it a few weeks ago as Rebels using Regimental Fire and Fury).
Units were Brigades.

Another superb game with FOB with the ever present feeling of an epic encounter and a real narrative to the battle.

Rebels had a Skilled deck and some Elite units and decent leaders (mostly D10) and a line of entrenchments against my more numerous Yanks but saddled with a Poor deck and mediocre units and leaders (a lot of D8).

I decided not to attack the central Rebel defences instead pushing my main attack on my left with my extra numbers a conducting a holding action on the right.
This proved to be a good decision as the Rebels attacked relentlessly on my right.
Thankfully my Brigades here held on despite a lot of losses even managing to Rout a couple of Rebel units.
This flank was remarkable for how mutually awful our volleys were with only close combat proving decisive.
The center was essentially nullified as I would not attack and defenders would not leave their entrenched line.
This left my left flank as the decisive area.
I attacked from the get go and sent my reserves here.
My initial attacks where successful pushing the Rebels back although they did Rally due to good officers.
I attacked across the river and timing was fortuitous as I was able to get across whilst enemy were 'unloaded' and was able to take a section of entrenchments.
The Rebel morale pool depleted and I was gaining Morale and eventually the dread Army Morale check cards appeared for the grey clad force.
Le Duc managed to pass one by rolling a 12 to my 10 ! but on second card I again rolled a 10 and the Rebels succumbed and yielded the field.
A great game in a reasonable time with a plausible outcome cannot really ask for more.




Yank center surveys the formidable trench line and opt for descretion over valour.






Rebel strength on Yank left










And forward they come 










Watching you watching me..................












Rebel assault comes in












Yanks assault on the left











Turning the flank









The only way to force this positsion











Pressure on my right increases








Across the river and into the trenches










Rebel assault waining










Overview











Airfix 7th Cavalry such memories





No comments:

Post a Comment