Saturday, December 30, 2017

Black Powder: Glory Hallelujah game

Game of Black Powder today at Stephens using his ACW figures and as an opportunity to try out the Glory Hallelujah supplement we both have.
Scenario was from the supplement entitled 'Blacklotts Farm' (IIRC).
I took the attacking 4 Reb Brigades and Stephen his Federals 2 Brigades at start with 3 following.
All units were standard types with the Rebs having Rebel Yell trait (a +1 bonus to close combat dice).
Yanks fielded a 6 gun (ie large) Battery to test this out.

Game played really well and quickly with the various supplement rules adding good period flavour without changing the essential systems or bogging game down.
I like that units can only Move once if they wish to Fire and this pretty much allows use of standard sequence of play without moving Shooting phase to before Command.


The river slowed the Rebs allowing the Yanks to get their Reserve Brigades on table and into the line.
Game really hinged on 1 turn wherein I took 15 casualties across the line and failed to save a single one !
This left units weakened and close to becoming Shaken (3 hits for all Infantry) and I then quickly lost 2 Brigades to failed Morale (we play that a Brigade becomes broken at over 50% losses).
I tried to Break an enemy Brigade on my right with a charge but only managed to force them to Retire and a Shaken unit in my Brigade saw me lose the game as 3 out of 4 Brigades broken.
One Union Brigade was also broken and a Battery of guns lost bit otherwise their lines held and a 5th Brigade had just arrived as Rebs withdrew.
We enjoyed BP again for its fast play aspect and whilst I find the orders/activation system a bit arbitrary it works within the system as a whole.

Back to Freddies last stand tomorrow with Season of Battle/Field of Battle (where at least I am guaranteed to be on winning side !)


Note in later pics below the proliferation of Disorder (yellow) and Shaken (red) markers on my units.......................






















No comments:

Post a Comment