Tuesday, November 27, 2012

No Retreat The Russian Front Vassal game ends

Finished my online Vassal game with Daniel last night ending in abject and total defeat for my Germans.
Disastrous run of Exchange results over several turns saw the Whermacht bled white throughout 1942 and into 1943 with result that when initiative shifted to Soviets on Turn 12 (ie March-April 1943) they had well exceeded the auto-victory level required.
Tough for Germans if they take such losses as too expensive to restore units and very hard to trade real estate for time as recapture of cities simply increases Russian VP levels.
I guess the title of game says it all with Hitler style hold fast orders being the only real option.
Both myself and Daniel had not progressed this far in a game before so interesting to see how it played out when Ivans start churning out upgraded units and Huns get thin on the ground.
Great fun as always with this very playable game (works well in real time on Vassal as game can be saved between sessions but dont think its really viable via Pbem as too many interrupt type cards for both sides).


Endgame - note the amount of upgraded Ivan units (red counters) and the Hun losses in Destroyed box to right plus number of on map units reduced (ie flipped)












Same screenshot from within Vassal

8 comments:

  1. A good game by all accounts sarge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. So, the idea is to maximise gains prior to a built-in "tipping point"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several ways to win including taking certain key victory locations or by indeed accumulating a certain number of victory points tied in with various 'sudden death' victory levels which vary by nation and turn

      Delete
  3. I have this game. I wish I knew how to operate vassal. Apparently next year a new version of vassal is being released by the propeller heads. I may see you on the battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can use Vassal anyone can ! It's actually fairly straightforward
      Drop me an email at sgt.steiner@btinternet.com and I can run you through basics

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Believe me, I have tried but email sent anyways.

      Delete
  4. I suppose it reflects the reality of the war - the Russians have plenty of land and troops they can sacrifice and the Germsns don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crossfire benzeri oyunlar için tıklayın: crossfire benzeri oyunlar

    ReplyDelete