Monday, November 19, 2012

Warfare 2012 (Four go mad at......)

Have returned safe and sound (of body if not of mind) and destitute from annual jaunt to Warfare. Accompanied again this year by the brothers Brittain and the very robust (in joke) Mr Pollock.
Usual overdose of traders, games and wargames waffling.
I bought very little lead this year (as last years still piled up) but still managed to spend every penny allotted and a wee (honestly darling) bit more.
Had to resist 'extreme' temptations of 10mm WW1 Germans, Plastic Soldier Coy 15mm Russians (I see this in my future) and 10mm ACW (those Kallistra figures calling to me again..............)
Did manage to acquire new Panzer boardgame despite this being a miniatures-fest and lots of terrain pieces and markers (I seemed to have more MDF than Ikea now !)
Same true of fellow travellers although 2 who will stay unnamed (ie John & Stephen P) wimped out and had funds left to but pressies for spouses at Duty Free (despite my advice that its simply the sign of a guilty conscience !!).
Added bonus this year I met up on the Saturday with Norman Johnston (an ex-pat Ulsterman) and Vassal enemy, nice to put a face to the name.
Of course looking forward to next year already although we are in discussion about Salute attendance as well/instead.

iPhone pics (in no particular order as too lazy to sort)

A Tiger II in huge Crossfire game set in Budapest 1945 using 1/48th scale kit


Budapest again

Square Bashing demo with 15mm Peter Pig figs

Random geeks shot

Hornets Nest at Shiloh ACW game

War & Conquest demo

Warlord game

Napoleonic game I think but cant recall details but very nice it was

Raphia with Lost Battles and Dr Sabin

Bloody Barons rules (?) no idea as to protaganists

Armati game (they seem to be there every year)

Bolt Action game with 28mm

Shiloh again

Crap shot of FOW competition included to show some nice MDF buildings of which I just had to purchase a couple


Battle of Loos in 6mm with PK Field Of Battle/Barrage hybrid




Budapest again with Hungarians facing Ivans
An IL2 dominating the scene

JSII approaches



Antietam in 10mm with thousands of Kallistra figs (drool) and their hex terrain system





Field of glory Napoleonics competition (this could tempt me)
I had pics of the FOG, FOGR (also tempting), DBMM  comps and more FOW but all too blurry to use. 


Bolt Action in action again


Following pics carry Government Health Warning and not suitable for under 18s or those of weak stomachs or nervous disposistions


John (wee one) Brittain pretending to be awake by sleeping with one eye open 
(snoring gave it away)

The robust Mr Pollock robustly drooling over his 6mm Time Cast buildings whilst bloody well and robustly blocking my view of Match Of The Day

A fine Time Cast ruined building in a ruined but robust hand 
(beverage in background for medicinal purposes only)











Robust my ass another chocolate soldier !!!!























Oh and the 'haul' (as always hard to believe the moneys worth on show !!)


15 comments:

  1. Some impressive looking games there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great report. Looks like a lot of fun - and lots of lightweights on the journey back!

    Agree with the 10mm ACW - looks brilliant.

    Not sure about FoGN and FoGR - bought and sold both rule sets as they just didn't play well for us (but we're big PoW players).

    Might try Rank and File for Naps next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only thing holding me back from 10mm ACW is that I would have to do both sides as mates collections are all 15mm.

      I have R&F but never tried but they do read well.
      POW is a system we like in principle (groan) but never seem to get onto table.

      Delete
  3. Great looking games!

    I have to admit I've been eyeing Kallistra now for a few months. If I didn't already own ACW in 15mm and 28mm I'd have jumped on them long ago! Thinking of giving up 15mm ACW and trading it in for 10mm Kallistra and the hex boards. Decisions....

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing them en-mass like this was awesome !! to be honest at first I thought they were 15s.
      Pendraken have a new range of ACW as well in 10mm.

      Delete
    2. Yes the Pendraken are very nice too, but smaller I think then Kallistra. I love the hexagon table. I wonder if it would work for 15mm too or is better left at 10mm?

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Blokes at table I was chatting to said they have used hex table for 15mm Squad Leader adaption. The 10mm seemed to based on 40mm wide bases. I think the dimensions of hexes are on Kallistra site ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it probably could work I think although probably would need to extend the size of the table to compensate.

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Excellent robust pictures Sarge, the Budapest game looked especially nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics Sgt! Looks like you had a great day and that's a very nice haul you bought back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great report on the show, nice to see the stash. I have named you for the Liebster Award which is going around at the moment for the great to read blog that you do. Feel free to play it forward or sit on it.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry what is Liebster Award ? is there a link ?

      Delete
  8. if you look at the logs tat show a golden chap holding a big cup that will have the details. t's where when given the award you can select your favorite five blogs to receiv it. viral award for sure but thesentimets are good.Going to my last blog post shows th meaning of it

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:43 pm

    Good to meet you at the show Gary and a fine AAR on the event above, though I thought we should be taking dangerous terrain tests when walking on that "carpet" covering the indoor bowls alley. I told Pentland you thought he had moved to America but he was able to top that - apparently Cameron (co-incidence!) rang up his house a while back under the impression that he had died!
    You must get over for Salute next year :-)
    Cheers, Norman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto

      Plans afoot for Salute but not sure if I can make it. Time will tell

      Delete