Wednesday, December 08, 2021

L'Art De La Guerre - two more games played

 Another couple of games of LADG played today at Stephens.

First up it was my Avars vs Thematic Byzantines, however I had got my army list slightly schewed a tad by including Elite Medium Cavalry Bow (not allowed but could have been Heavy Cavalry Bow instead at same price) and then counting my Light Cavalry as Elite when only ordinary despite costing them correctly.

Not sure it made any difference as my shooting was pretty pants from get go but may have made a couple of elements hang around longer than they should due to Elite bonus ?

Quite evenly matched armies although the Avars find it difficult to deal with supported Byzantine heavy infantry of which there were thankfully only a few.

Avars lost eventually.



Avars advance trying to hold Byzantine foot on right 















Next game I fielded an all mounted Central Asian Turkish force for a good historical match up against T'Ang Chinese. 

My 22 elements were all elite but again they just have no real answer to the T'Ang mixed spear and bow heavy foot of which comprises a third of their force.

Thankfully the river Stephen placed turned out to be dried up so I did try a flank march with a light cavalry command which arrived right away (ie on turn 2) which was maybe just too early letting cat out of bag rather soon, but at least they arrived.

T'Ang where able to march right along my left flank and push the 'wall' of heavy foot directly forward due to good leaders and high PIP rolls, of course I managed to roll a one twice for my command PiPs limiting my ability to react.

The Chinese heavy foot then shot up my light cavalry and a gap soon appeared in my center as my left wing cavalry clashed with more numerous T'Ang mounted.

I did kill a couple of crossbow units with some lucky shooting and killed a cataphract but too little compared to losses I sustained as Turks fell apart.

One of these days..........................................



Turk right wing tries to envelope Chinese (flank march appeared on far right)






The 'jet propelled' T'Ang do an on table outflank








My left wing in difficulties with low PIPs hampering options.



4 comments:

  1. Looks very nice, love the Byzantine period(s)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that and Dark Age eras are my favourite of the 'Ancients' periods closely followed by Punic Wars

      Delete
  2. 2 games is something to celebrate, if not the results! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If at first you dont succeed try try try again (ad infinitum)

      Delete