Sunday, August 22, 2010

DBMM Kushan vs Han Chinese

Another Dbmm game against Stephen. He bought and painted a Han Chinese army which is very pretty (did I just type that !?) but which he threatens to sell on Ebay.
I said he should use it first and so.................
I selected Kushan from around 50AD to face the Han, with a Skythian ally (I borrowed some figs to use these a fatal mistake !) 4 Elephants with KnX and lots of LhF some psO and AxO comprised my army.
Things did not auger well when set-up forced me to deploy first but move second due to Han gaining a night attack (albeit moonless with only 80p moves). I deployed fairly compactly and did use Scouting successfully which (theoretically) allowed me to move at night as well. HOWEVER.......... Ally of course went unreliable and my Pips where truly awful throughout the seemingly endless night. Han had cunningly set up massed against my left flank and had great night-time Pips allowing them to get right into face of my virtually immobile flank (try wheeling/moving inept troops at night at 80p with rolls of 1 or 2 !). Of course Elephants watched sun come up and enemy bolt-shooters letting loose. 'Ally' staunchly refused to answer my CiCs call (12 Pips wasted in course of game trying to get the sod into action).
Inevitably (I feel like Mr Anderson from Matrix every game !) my left flank broke and the Skythians then sprung into life against me, how dare they !!!
Stephen now had 5 Cmds against my remaining 2 (I was a mere 2 ME from defeat) and had utter gall to use Skythians to charge into rear of my KnX !!!
Abject and total defeat soon followed with me killing only 3 Lh which were in fact from the turncoats so not a single Han element killed !!!!!!!!!!
Frustrating but fun and very 'like what you read in history books'.
Irregulars really need to use flank attacks, delayed commands, concealed commands to counter a fully regular army and not just at night.
Despite the trauma it was a fun game and only Dbmm can generate such a situation which I really like but I can see how 'competition only' players would baulk at this scenario.
Was of course very generous of me to let the Han win so completely in order not to get sold, I do hope they appreciate my efforts on their behalf .  

Kushan deployment (note 'sleeper agents' to fore) 
Han deployment
The 'pretty' boys

More posers.....er.....posing along with my all time favourite Artillery.......and some sort of secret weapons on hill.
  
The 'turncoats' 3 KnF wedges & 8 LhF deployed forward seemed a good idea
Elephant Cmd (note superb Pip dice)
No Elephants now left in front of Artillery, I wonder why...............
Cic & his Cataphracts manage to move forward before being treachorously charged
by the Skythians.
Left flank surrounded with some Lh & Kn trying vainly to shore it up
 
I know just how he feels....................

No comments:

Post a Comment