Saturday, July 18, 2020

Field Of Glory: Renaissance - Thirty Years War - Swedish versus Early Catholic

Another game at Stephens and he selected FOGR again having just read a book 'Lion Of The North' and wishing to field his Early Swedes.

I fielded my Early Catholic again this time with 3 Average Early Tercios.

I took a huge risk putting two units of Cuirassier a Reiter and a Field Commander on a Flank March as I know that my army is outclassed in a straight on stand up fight.

The Swedish Brigades are simply awesome especially when Superior (Stephen had 4 Brigades with 3 Superior) and with Regimental Guns and they usually (ie always) steamroller my Tercios with their Impact and Salvo traits.

I also selected Woodland terrain in attempt to disrupt Swedish advance but Stephen managed to remove two of four Forests with rolls of 6.
Although with the way heavy Infantry set up in the center in FOGR avoiding these Brigades is a tough proposition.

With fully one third of my force off-table at start it was always down to if or when the Flank march appeared.

With a Field Commander I needed to roll a 9 on 2d6 but consistently (ie every bloody turn) rolled an annoying 8 so........................

This meant I was fighting with only 9 units but thankfully I had decent dice rolls today and did manage to hold up the Swedish mounted on both flanks.

I had a 3 gun Battery that fired 7 times rolling 2 Hits every time which I could not complain about but of course Stephen 'demoned' his way to passing all but one death roll and  Cohesion Test caused.

The crunch of game came in center as my 3 Tercios were engaged by the 4 Swedish Brigades.
I did remove a couple of bases from firing but lost a couple myself with neither side suffering any Cohesion tests so all fighting 'Fresh' at Impact
Two Brigades hitting one was a hiding to nothing as at Impact the Swedes rolled 6 dice needing 3 and 1 dice (Regt gun) coupled with Superior status generating re-rolls this is awesome stuff.

Two of my Tercios (those facing Superior Swedes) went Disrupted then Fragmented and soon Broke in short order.
My other Tercio with a General in fronk rank managed to withstand the Average Swedish Brigade and eventually Disrupted then Fragmented it but failed to Break it.

By this time my wings had collapsed and game ended in another abject defeat.

++ Note to self - if trying an outflank send the tatty Reiters not your Cuirassier and maybe just 1 unit not 3 !! ++

A tale of too much risk for no reward, but it was a fun game all the same trying to remove 'nuts from the fire'














4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I certainly 'battled' to get flank march on but they seemingly where of lotting and pillaging :-)

      Delete
  2. Great looking game Gary. The flanking attack or wide cavalry manoeuvre often is so much better in concept than reality isn't it?!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice; "Lion of the North" indeed!

    ReplyDelete