Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Mortem Et Gloriam - Avar versus Carolingian

Another outing for MEG this time at Stephens and trying a 'Maximus' game.
Stephen picked Carolingian and I fielded Avar and I struggled to field the 10,000 points for Maximus game.
Some Hun figures had to substitute for 'true' Avars (not much of a stretch).
Even Stephen with his copious amounts of figures had a couple of substitute stands.
Units of Light Infantry in groups of 8 or 9 stands is bit different to other sets we have armies for.

Another fun game as we tried out different troop types.
I tried charging with Avars and also Skirmishing with them.

These 'shooty-horse' type armies need a bit of practice (and dare I say a plan).
Certainly compared to the 'line-em-up and charge' Franks they need more subtle and varied tactics.
The lack of suitable cards in any given turn can be a real bind.
Was unsure if Shooting and Skirmishing was best tactic as always a risk of being caught and in Impact and Melee the Avars are quite decent.
Carolingians did have a nasty unit of Exceptional Cavalry and several Superior Cavalry (I had but two Superior noble units) and had an advantage at Impact with possible Shatters.

Biggest problem I faced was Stephen rolling Skulls against files I had 2 General fighting in and then killing them both !

Games are certainly bloody as whilst I lost the requisite 6 Tugs Stephen had lost 3 in victory and we both had ton of dead stands.













2 comments:

  1. Looks great Sgt, awesome armies...and period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, a nice historical match up which I always prefer.

      Delete