Sunday, December 06, 2020

A little stolen quote

Stole the following from the excellent Blog http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/ by James Roach which I thought sort of summed up my similar feelings regarding rules akin to Piquet/FOB, including the fact that I do also play/like ‘incremental’ style games but just prefer the ‘decisive’ types (as highlighted)

He is replying to a comment about To The Strongest (a set I really must dust off and try !)

“Bedford: I haven't changed from Piquet. 

TtS have a very different approach, but both games share two ingredients not found in that many games - those ingredients are tension and decision points.

In both games you never quite know how much you can achieve in a 'go', and even less how much your opponent can. 

Both games involve balancing risks. 

This is the key to tension in wargames.

Both games are a series of decision points, a lot of which have the potential to be 'decisive' rather than 'incremental'. 

In both games, you can make sweeping tactical movements in a single turn, and in both games you can wipe out units (both yours and your opponents) in a single turn. 

Critical decision points abound, you just don't know, at the start of each turn, how many you get to make, where, or when (which goes back to the tension thing).

Piquet and TtS are my favourite wargames - not the only ones I play but, definitely my favourite.”




1 comment:

  1. I saw those comments by James as well, and also was nodding my head in agreement.
    And yes, you really must try TTS! :-)

    ReplyDelete