Thursday, January 20, 2011

FOGRenn Thirty Years War Swedish versus Catholic 1632

Played a hugely enjoyable game with Field Of Glory Renaissance rules today at Stephens with my Thirty Years War Catholic Imperialists under Tilly (Great cmdr) taking the field again against the dread Swedes lead by Gustavus (Great cmdr).
More terrain in this game than usual which lead to nice tactical situations and problems. With a village and forest on my right flank I decided to mass my Horse units (two Currassier and two Bandoliered Reiters) under Pappenheim (Field cmdr) and a subordinate on the left to try to sweep across the Swedish front whilst my three Tercios advanced in centre. A lowly unit of Dragoons and one of Croat light horse (in ambush in forest) deployed on right. I split my two artillery batteries on right and left. Gustavus deployed with a large battery of four guns supported by the mean and nasty Swedish infantry brigades. They had allied foot and some horse on their right with a unit of superior Commanded shot, their left comprised two horse units with another of Commanded shot.
My cavalry sweep started well with divisional moves allowing my four horse units to advance quickly but a narrow area to deploy into saw them faced adeptly by Swedish Dragoons, Commanded shot (who had advantage of rough terrain) and some allied foot. My Tercios advanced slowly in centre one soon becoming target of massed Swedish artillery. My first charge with Currassiers into a unit of allied foot (average late Pike & Shot unit) was thrown back with losses but I then charged them back again along with second Currassier unit and two (!!!) generals, some 200+ pts versus a mere 40ish. General Horn joined the allied foot. Great impact and melee rolls saw enemy foot disordered and Horn killed and their eventual rout. Some skirmishing type activity on left and lots of shooting in centre, wherein Tercios suffered continuously from enemy artillery.
Time got better of us mainly due to way too much waffling before and during game !!(mainly about other projects including WWII 6mm and Lasalle and lots of in game discussion of troop interactions) and we called it a day at this point. Lots of subtleties  in rules becoming apparent the more we play, with troop types that seem similar (in lists and points costs) markedly different on table. Always amazed how much I like FOGr compared to Ancients version.

Swedes deploy
















Imperialists arranged







Imperialist Tercios



Imperial horse massed




Swedish Brigades 




Allied foot move to their flank




Imperial Horse manoeuvring (passing lovely vineyard bought at Warfare)


Tercios advance 












Swedish battle lines and massed guns



Tercios sustain losses


Reiters hold the flank


Allied foot broken after extreme effort (2 units of Currassiers and 2 General committed !!)


  

5 comments:

  1. Nice game. Very Inspiring.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Its a very good set of rules.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I seem to have very similar tastes in war games rules. Based on your enthusiasm for FogR, I have ordered the core rule book and the supplements for the Eastern Renaissance and the Italian Wars. If I like these I'll probably get the upcoming supplement for the late 17th century (don't recall the name right now) as well.

    Thanks for the inspiration and enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ron

    Hope you enjoy games with the rules as much as we do.
    I have been pleasently surprised by them as was tad worried that I would be as underwhelmed by them as I was by Ancients version but quite the opposite is true.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sgt!

    Just stopping in to see what you are gaming now.

    Looks like you have been getting into some massive gaming this month already? :)

    I got a few reports being worked on, one on CoH, the other on a game of FOG between Numidians and Romans.

    Just checkin in. Thanks for the reports on your site.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete