Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dbmm Sassanid Persian vs Patrician Roman

Played Dbmm game last night versus Stephen. He wanted to try Late/Patrician Roman army so I picked a contemporary the Sassanid Persians. I used early version (ie 220-493AD) with 5 KnX Cataphracts usual horde of 15 CvS  2 ElO, 6 AxS ,7 PsO, 9 HdO, 8 LhF, 6 Bg and a Nomad ally of Lh Ally General 4 LhO & 1 LhI. Patricians fielded lots of Hun LhS (several subject elements plus an Allied command) with 1 ArtO, couple of rLhO, 6 BdO and lots of Irr & Reg AxS backed by PsO and a few compulsory rCvO. With 0 aggression the Romans are pretty likely to defend (as indeed they did) and are therefore also highly likely to be able to build a 'terrain fort' which is exactly what happened (as pics show below) with 2 Rough Hills a Rocky field and the 'gifts' (from my selections) of a vineyard and a difficult hill. We both discussed how in a competition setting a Cavalry type opponent like Sassanids would most likely not advance on such a position and Romans correspondingly unlikely to leave their hills to advance onto a plain in face of cavalry so a form of draw probable. But me being me I of course decided to go for it :-)
My Arabs were deployed on my left and faced a contingent of superior Huns. I held back but was charged by the Huns and after 6 combats in a line in one turn my Nomads were shattered with only the General and the LhI left alive !! This immediately exposed the main weakness of the Sassanids too many Inept types (ie KnX & CvS) who simply dont maneuverer. I manly (ie no other choice) pushed on into the awaiting Roman blades (deployed in gap between rough hill and rocky field). My Elephants also advanced screened by my AxS. My newly painted Dailami types also rolled poorly losing 5 of 6 over 3 turns to enemy AxS (the preordained fate of all new paint jobs !!). However on my right I managed to kill Hun Ally General (via a 6:1) and shattered his command as revenge for Nomads and this despite sneaky appearence of a Roman micro command (Gen 1Cv & 2Ax) from Ambush on rear slopes of hills. Further success was thwarted by low Pips by this command. Inept again horrible as a column of 5 CvS could not deploy on 1 Pip thrown for several turns. Of course meanwhile on my left the rampant Huns were picking off my Kn and Cv with charges in rear whilst fending off forlon moves of 2 Sassanid General (dont count Inept). My CiCs command broke leaving the army a mere 2 elements from destruction which duly happened when a pursuing Elephants was flanked. I did kill a few Romans in addition to the the ally so managed for once to avoid a 25:0 versus Stephen it being a 20:5 instead :-)

Great fun as ever

Initial deployments




Hun allies 



Sassanid battle array




Nomad survivors fleeing the scene




Battle is joined at the 'terrain fort'


1 comment: