Saturday, August 04, 2012

Maurice Seven Years War

A Seven Years War bash today at Stephens with my Russians against the Prussians using the most excellent Maurice rules.
A really enjoyable game it was too (these are another very fun set of rules by Mr Mustafa).
We used the army builder points system and random terrain set-up with two 100 point armies.
Terrain was Plains and eight pieces in total. Stephen had Great Captain card (very appropriate for Frederick of course) Lethal Volleys and Cadence Step.
I had Rally To The Colours and Steady The Lads for my Ivans. Prussians were attackers and set up second (a big advantage).
They massed on my somewhat week left flank and with Cadence they were able to rush forward in column and deploy into line right in my face.
Russians were able to shore up flank by marching two Infantry units that had deployed in column as a reserve but of course being Maurice this meant they were doing little elsewhere having to dance continually it seemed to Prussian tune (composed by Frederick).
The ability of a Great Captain to allow the CinC a 'free' 8" move each round proved very effective indeed whereas the poor Russian CinC had to burn cards to move or else staying one place.
Pressure on Russian left eventually told as Prussians outgunned them.
We also tried using Notables for the first time today.
I had Cameron Von Muller (a Scots exile enobled in Germany) who I placed with my Elite Horse Grenadiers but since my Cavalry wing was not involved he got no chance to shine.
Prussians had a chap whose name I neglected to note who also attached to a Cavalry unit which charged a single battery of Artillery and was repulsed (my base 2 plus a 6 rolled vs a base 6 but only 1 rolled !!) and to add insult to injury he then failed his Hazard roll and was then killed !!
This was my only success however......................
A really fun game indeed with a set of rules I enjoy a lot as a nice balance of that chaos factor I like with very slick and playable systems. Everything is integrated very well and just simply works.


Russians deployed

Russian center and right wing Cavalry

The weaker left wing

Prussians massed on their right


Prussians getting numbers to count
Prussians deploy from columns

Russian center tries to re-deploy (note two units in column scurrying to left)

The Russians left has disappeared !

Out of focus (due to my tears !) shot of Russian dead pile



No Gold Medal for me but plenty for Team GB !!!! Huzzah !!!!




8 comments:

  1. Not sure I dare say anything LOL

    Been following your games of M. Almost tempted to get into the period to try out the rules!

    Have been thinking it may well be the way to work out rules for the ECW

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your bravery and enhanced spelling and typing skills :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:58 am

    the last 2 photos are my favourites - weeping is becoming a national pastime :-) Another great advert for the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary,

    How many units were there on each side?

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter
    I had 4 Cav (1 Irr Hussar 1elite horse Grenadier and 2Trained Cuirassier) 8 Foot (1 Elite Grenadier 1Militia 6.Trained Line) and 3 Guns
    Prussians had I think 9 or 10 units of which 3 were Elite plus 4 guns and they got a bonus trained unit as they were attackers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great report. I am stoicly going to resist getting a 7yr war army for these rules. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking game and enjoyable report! I'll be playing a game of Maurice this month and I'm really looking forward to it!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great pics and report. Although I have my copy of Maurice tucked away on the bookshelf, (as I don't want to be distracted by painting my SYW stuff just yet) I certainly enjoy hearing more of these encouraging reports on the rules. :-)

    Jason

    ReplyDelete