Saturday, March 27, 2021

Ulster Wargames Society - Zoom game of 'Kiss Me Hardy'

Monthly meeting of club today (online of course) and David Pentland (artist of renown) set up a Napoleonic Naval game over zoom using 'Kiss Me Hardy' rules.

All brand new to me as not a naval buff at all but quite easy to pick up (with Daves direction) the basics.

Scenario was I believe set after Trafalgar with 4 French Ships trying to escape a pursuing British Squadron (also 4 but 1 delayed).

I was given command of a 3rd Rate French Frigate (?) named the 'Monte Blanc' which saw plenty of action I went straight at the oncoming British managing to rake 3 ships with broadsides and bow cannon, despite taking a pounding.

My ship and that of Dave Brown (cant recall name) ended up grappling each other and I was was in process of trying to repel boarders.

British ships similar in guns and ratings but seemed to have elite crews of 'Jack Tars' whilst French were mostly average crew.

Plenty of tacking into wind and broadsides and suchlike from all the other ships, with Dave (there are a glut of Daves in club !) Buick managing to sail his French ship for harbour which was I believe a French objective

All good fun even though we did not completely finish game.

Not sure what scale the ships were or manufacturer but they certainly looked good in action.

Only managed a quick screenshot.



2 comments:

  1. Napoleonic Naval can be fun for a change of pace. I have several sets to try out,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was fun game just not something I am well versed in beyond Hornblower novels :-)
      No idea how accurate Kiss Me Hardy rules are but they were playable and fun.

      Delete