Friday, September 21, 2012

Field Of Glory Renaissance game

Game of FOGR yesterday at Stephens using a late version (circa 1642) of my Imperialist Catholic Army against Stephen's French lot.
A really good game that turned into a real slug-fest with poor Death Rolls being the.....er........ death of me in the end !
Good to get some lead on table instead of cardboard :-)
No time for better AAR just now, as packing my lad off to Nottingham University today.











Old iPhone pics again so not great

French at start

Imperial opponents

Imperialists had better of terrain 

Center of French deployment

Imperial Reiters and Commanded shot

Cannons deployed behind (makeshift) Field Fortifications

Dutch units in French service on their right wing

The French foot

Imperial Cuirassier with approaching French Dragoons

Opposing wings about to clash

And going at it..........both Reiter units destroyed by now !

Less dense clash on other wing















10 comments:

  1. I tried FoGR a couple of times. Its OK but we've plumpoed for POWR instead. Indeed we use Principoles for most periods now (Naps, Renaissance, 19th C and we're going to try POW Ancients as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice looking game there.

      I also tried POW renaissance, a few years ago. It was good, but there was somthing lacking, I don't know why... Oh, and the Finnish class 5 were killer

      Delete
    2. I have POW and liked them but do feel Fog models the different formations such as Swedish Brigades a tad better ie it has a bit more granularity and most importantly my opponent prefers it overall

      Delete
  2. Looks good - nice chunky game with lots of figs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking game! I'm into Warlord for most my gaming(BP,HC,P&S etc.), but I still like looking at cool boards like yours regardless of the rules!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought Pike and Shotte but not tried out yet

      Delete
    2. If you like Black Powder(which I do very much!) then I would think Pike and Shotte would also interest you as the game mechanics are very similar with a few tweeks for period feel.
      The strong point of Warlord games is the ability to tailor the rules to your liking.

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Never played the rules but they look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking game, Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:51 pm

    Another fine looking game Gary - I do like rules which model historical formations and reward them. I have a copy of these rules but no figures to play them with :-(

    ReplyDelete