Monday, March 02, 2020

Old School Tactical played again

Played OST again with my Dad last night and must say we found this time around the game to be pretty meh.
The double Infantry stacks with a leader powering across the board becomes tiresome pretty quickly.
I get with the way defence factors accumulate these stacks are needed but it becomes a game of my 'mega-stack' versus your 'mega-stack' and may the best dice roll wins...rinse...dry...repeat...blah blah blah......
Or I swarm your mega stack with single units to get it stuck in melee from which it cannot shot or move.
After a few plays the simplicity of the combat model fails to overcome its inherent lack of depth.
The massive board of which you only use a small portion is also annoying would much prefer if they had split board into quarters or thirds.
We did try the winter board which certainly looks great but again the scenario and system just felt flat (indeed flatter than the board !) and we gave up.
Much better tactical systems to play such as Band Of Brothers, Conflict Of Heroes, Lock N' Load or Fighting Formations or even Retro rules with SL/ASL kit and of course the superb Combat Commander.
Pity as the components and look of game is great but game play lacking after novelty wears off, although the AFV part of the game works better and I do like the Impulse system.
Oh well one sub-par game out of the hundreds I have not so bad :-)





6 comments:

  1. You are right, the game looks great. In this genre, which game is your favorite? Combat Commander?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Combat Commander is truly excellent, only real downside is lack of tanks. For that i prefer
      Lock N Load or Conflict Of Heroes. More deep but also more complex is Fighting formations.
      Slightly higher scale is Panzer Grenadier system or Panzer Blitz II all good in their own ways

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reviewing the game. You have just saved my from spending money on this game. The game isn't cheap purchase. Not sure about buying combat commander? Sound like you have placed this game at the top of the pile. How telling the reader here why you like combat commander about the other. Great blog by the way. I been following you for along time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only refer you to my many previous posts about Combat Commander and other games.

      Delete
  3. I'd recommend the War Storm series. I've played both the 1940 campagin and Barbarossa and thoroughly enjoyed them. More on the scale of Panzer Grenadier I believe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hudson Hawk3:09 pm

    Thank you for an honest review. I would love to play Old School Tactical with the Band of Brothers rules. I'm trying to work out how to balance the leaders and impulses with the awesome BoB rules.

    ReplyDelete