Thursday, July 08, 2021

L'Art De La Guerre- Sassanid vs Late Roman

Game at Stephens today with LADG as he wanted to try his Late Romans, against which I fielded my Sassanid Persian of same period with Cataphracts, some Heavy Cavalry Bowmen and a Hunnic Ally.

I got to attack on plains and decided to try a flank march with the Huns as being entirely Light Cavalry the arrive with a +1 to their roll (so 5-6 on turn 1 and 4-6 thereafter), added risk being that as an Ally they can go unreliable.

Romans had usual mix of Cavalry and supported (good in LADG) Legionaries and supported Auxilia with a couple of Bowmen and a cart mounted Artillery piece.

The game was an absolute bloodbath !

My Allies arrived fairly sharpish on turn 3 and had Romans redeploying several elements before discovering which flank they would appear (my right).

A ding dong shooting and melee match was occurring right across the table.

Must say my shooting dice were were awesome inflicting several hits on enemy, however my charge with a group of 5 Cataphracts (including a General) was just the opposite being pretty awful.

On this left flank my supporting Light Cavalry were swept away in a single turn (so many 1s in melee) and the Cats were then flanked and decimated.

I did have success against the Auxilia and Bowmen (being medium infantry) with my heavy mounted supported by 2 more Cataphracts and Huns were by now in action.

But losses on left just too quick to accumulate and I reached my army break first.

At finish I had lost the requisite 22 loss points but Romans had reached 19 (23 required to break army) so a pretty close run thing.

We had planned to play two games but too much waffling about other rules and periods and Euro football competition put paid to that.


Only a couple of picks from early stages as too caught up in action (always a good sign)






 



6 comments:

  1. Looks nice Sgt, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked a cracker! And very close too! Up the England!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was got totally engrossed, so good to be back to face to face games !!
      It VERY much pains me to say it but do indeed hope England thump Cheataly even it means hearing about 2021 and 1966 for rest of my days :-)

      Delete
  3. As much as the game was fun, sometimes the company is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed and waffling is a national pastime here anyhow :-)

      Delete