Thursday, November 25, 2021

L'Art De La Guerre- two games with Punic Romans

Two fun and interesting games of LADG today at Stephens with my Republican Romans taking the field.

First opponent was Gallic with lots of mounted troops.

The terrain worked out pretty well for the Romans with cover on both flanks despite my failing to place a river on a flank.

Whilst I choose to attack the numbers of Celt mounted meant that I knew that advancing too aggressively would see me outflanked on both ends of my line as Celt foot hung back from legionaries.

And so it turned out as I ended up vainly chasing the Chariots with Legionaries on my right whilst my left bore brunt of charges by the Gauls elite heavy cavalry as warbands held back until near the end to defeat the Romans. 

The Gaul Soldurii with an embedded General proved very effective.

Romans just cant field enough mounted of their own to support flanks effectively. 





Roman Legion faces the Gauls








Romans have good terrain on flanks at set up but Gaul mounted dominate the more open areas








Gaul elite cavalry bear down on my left









And Chariots invest my right with no real counter to their 'skirmishing' ability














Second game was a much different affair as Stephen fielded Later Macedonian.

This was much more of a slugfest and really came down to my Elite legion failing abjectly against the pike whilst their average compatriots dealt with Macedonian right.

A couple of key combats decided the matter for Macedonians but this was a bloody battle !

Getting two games in is certainly very feasible with LADG even with our discussions of all sorts unrelated stuff including 'could the Germans have actually won WW2 ??' and other waffle :-)





Romans deployed to met the Macedonians










Clashes all along the line with my Elite Legion beginning to suffer already in center







Right wing supports chasing off some cavalry






Macedonian General survives a flank attack on my extreme right.





4 comments:

  1. Superb lines of battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They start of as neat lines but seldom end up that way :-)

      Delete
  2. A pair of attractive games, Gary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romans be certainly have plenty of historical enemies

      Delete