Wednesday, March 13, 2024

General d'Armee 2 - another test play

Another try out of GDA2 with Stephen using my Prussians versus his French in a 'pick n mix' type game again (we have not tried converting any of our old GDB/GDA scenarios as yet) to make sure we understand and are happy with rules systems.

Again we enjoyed the overall vibe of the new version and tried out various iterations of the new Taskings and those new CinC Commands (these need careful thought and timing) for instance I had a Brigade Falter so used the 'Stand With Me! to rectify the situation at cost of 2 ADCs plus 1 of these CinC Commands so useful but costly and a one time only (no repeat of same Command). 

Stephen also tried the 'Chief of Staff' which saw him increase his ADCs from 3 to 7 for that turn, again an impactful Command if used wisely.

We think we mostly (?) have the basics of system absorbed with only a couple of queries today over supports in charges and what thwarts/impacts them.

We are very much in that 'oh shiny new rules' mode at present



















++++ My iPad went on blink (too expensive to repair) a couple of days ago so ended up replacing it with newer version - an early 60th (!!!!!!!!!) birthday pressie and so messing about trying out its camera and movie functions and seeing how they interact with Blogger +++++ 






















6 comments:

  1. Thanks Gary, I am on the fence. I am at a show this weekend, so will pick up a copy and have a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the first edition you will enjoy the streamlined play in 2nd Ed, however if you disliked original this is essentially same game at heart.

      Delete
  2. Happy forthcoming birthday.
    I'm new to Napoleonics and just ordered a copy of GDA2. Also almost finished painting a division each of French and English in 6mm.

    Your table and your figures look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Painting 6mm Napoleonics is beyond my capabilities, even when eyes were younger :-)

      Delete
  3. It is great that you are into 'shiny new things' Garry, as we get to see playtests of lots of rules on your blog!
    There are key mechanics in the original that are not to my taste, but I have played and will play them as a good mate likes them a lot. I'll be trying this version for the same reason...!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a set you can agree/compromise on is always a plus. I still find the generation of available ADCs each turn a tad arbitrary but it is as good a system as any in the round. Personally I like Lasalle 2 for this level but not much between them (Lasalle being a bit faster/simpler but correspondingly more abstract especially skirmishing). Of course if I had my way it would be FOB just about every time although I do like a wee bit of variety in case you had not noticed :-)

      Delete