Friday, March 01, 2024

Late to the party, just watched nay endured 'that' Napoleon movie

Just watched Napoleon this evening (released today on Apple TV) and oh my oh my what can I say that has not already been said !?

What a waste of talent and a complete affront to history and even simple story telling and as a history/movie buff it was at times an excruciating watch. 

Now I do not expect, nor indeed want, Hollywood history based films to be documentaries and understand fully the need to condense events or characters to propel a movie or convey drama but by heck this was mostly a turgid, cringe worthy 150 or so minutes of film making.

Such a pity as there were some marvellous vistas (Egypt looked stunning as did marching Prussian Army for instance) and sumptuous sets and costumes but these were denigrated to occasional background noise by the overall crapness of the so called story.

Of course the 'battle' scenes were what I was really watching for and oh dearie, dearie me is the most polite I can be, such potential simply wasted in such pathetic cartoonish style. 

On plus side Waterloo had me literally laughing out loud (along with the under the table 'seduction') and who knew Boney lead so many cavalry charges sabre in hand throughout his career, nor indeed that French cannon hit the tops of Pyramids, I could go on but shall refrain, and to paraphrase Ridley Scott (how are the mighty fallen) "I wasn't there so what the actual feck do I know ?".

Ah well was I guess it was watchable in its own painfully horrid way and I never thought Braveheart would be worsted, but that is at least a proper 'movie' able to tell a compelling story with decent acting alongside the albeit truly horrible history.

Indeed there have been several stinkers from historical perspective but most are at least entertaining in the main (stand up Anzio, Spartacus, Battle of the Bulge) but this was such a disappointing experience. 

As an aside I watched with better half who also thought it was disjointed (understatement) and awful overall without fully understanding my ire at battle scenes, indeed she commented that the only decently acted scene was that of Boney hearing of Josephines death, brief though it was.

I also had to watch a few scenes from Waterloo to cleanse my eyeballs afterwards..........

 




There he is sabre in hand.............again








One of the better vistas soon ruined by farcical 'action'





Boney spends a lot of time with fingers in ears, which may actually be accurate but I was not there so cannot confirm or refute





There he goes again doing his Ney (not given even a mention) impersonation



 

8 comments:

  1. Yeah - I have to own up - although I have sort of defended it and said I did not mind it (my wife hated it but that's just because she was bored to tears by the whole thing, not because she would have noticed any historical inaccuracies!) - everything you say is pretty much true - its not a film I would bother watching again and I can understand why the French (in particular) were pissd off at R Scott!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle to 'defend' much (bar some cinematography and sets) as even as a simple basic movie entertainment (historical farce issues aside) it was piss poor in just about every aspect.

      Delete
  2. A shame that you went into that trench Garry (something I was not aware was employed in field battles of the Napoleonic wars). I made the mistake of watching 33 mins of excerpts that are on the interweb and that was more than enough of this tripe for me...
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tripe it was indeed such a waste of opportunity

      Delete
  3. NOTHING! That I have read about this film would encourage me to waste any time with it. By contrast, Dune 2 was released yesterday to hugely positive reviews. While Sci-fi, the film director was still restrained by the book …. Or for want of a better expression, the history, something R. Scott seems less obligated to. His infamous reply of ‘where you there’ was a huge own goal.

    You need to get Waterloo to the table (in one form or another) as a recovery therapy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Batley Townswomens' Guild reenactment of Pearl Harbor was more accurate than this 'version' of Waterloo :-)

      Delete
  4. I was very excited about this but the trailers put me on alert, then the reviews, then the public & gaming community disliked it so I have wisely stayed well away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was looking forward to it I mean how many Napoleon films do we get but you are missing out on absolutely nothing

      Delete