Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Field Of Glory Napoleonic Version 2 - 1812 Russians versus French

Another go with FOGN today st Stephens.
I tried out an 1812 Russian Infantry Corps and Stephen used 1812 French with Cavalry support.
Another excellent game with only difficulty we had with working out the list limitation for attached Divisions (hopefully all will be clarified when (if?) new lists make an appearance).
I selected Positional Defence and French took Prepared Attack.
So I got great terrain selection including a large hill with Reverse Slope and Strongpoint as options.
However this meant I had to deploy army entirely on table and entirely before French and am semi-inert for first two turns (ie no advancing outside deployment zone).
With Frontal Assault French got 3 turns of Bombardment which I managed to mitigate somewhat with extended lines and hiding behind central large hill.
Still a unit of Grenadiers took a bit of a battering but were fortunately able to Rally.

Game hinged on encounter on my left between my 2 small Dragoon Brigades and 2 Large French Dragon units.
The 'dice demon' of course struck in these key combats rolling 6 hits with 7 dice compared to my 1 from 5 (cancelled by Large unit) instantly breaking one unit and causing a cohesion loss on the other (I uncannily rolled 1's on test)
He then gave my other unit 4 hits to 1 Disordering my unit.
This allowed him to roll for my General (we had both put our Generals into combat here) who promptly died causing a another cohesion test and inevitably another cohesion loss breaking my second Dragoon unit.

I did manage to form squares with my Grenadier Division (Veterans are great) nullifying his Cavalry but a further unit lost to his Light Cavalry on my right along with 2 units Wavered saw my army succumb to defeat as French only had 3 Spent Cavalry units.

We are really enjoying the smooth and fast game play, results are certainly quick and decisive (no doubt a boon for competition style games the rules support) but with plausible events and outcomes for this level of play.



Russians setup as French guns deploy to bombard.







French lines counter my deployment









Opposing Dragoon units ready themselves (French 3 deep)







Slow advance in center against my lines










My central command emerges from reverse slope











The big clash of sabers (both my units destroyed in one fell swoop)







Thankfully these Veteran Grenadiers were unfazed and formed squares









French center

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing; I find the scenario generation part of the rules to be of chief interest.

    ReplyDelete