Sunday, April 21, 2019

Salem's Church scenario with Regimental Fire & Fury

Group game at JBs yesterday using the excellent RFF rule set.
SB & JB had set up a scenario centred around battle at Salem's Church during Chancellorsville campaign.
JB and I took the Rebs who had initially superior strength but only 1 active Brigade (other not released until turn 4) against an ever growing Yankee array.
Feds also had a hill to their rear with two Artillery batteries which could issue 'Plunging Fire' across the area of thickets to bombard Rebs.
RM (who seemed to have assumed 'dice demon' duties for the day !) managed to disorder his targets and also take off 5 stands (lots of 9 and 10 rolls).
I had command of the active Reb Brigade (sorry I cant recall the various Brigadiers names although I think McCaws was overall commander) and decided to take it to the Yanks preferring to fight well forward of their objectives (which is distinctly not like me I know).
I had mixed fortunes with one assault repulsed another sweeping away the enemy (and a 'discussion' about the Cold Steel rule in the system and its  relationship to the game vs history).
This is a feature of RFF as unit fortunes can ebb and flow with Regts being soundly beaten or so it seems only for them to Rally and return to fray all very ACW.
Units in this scenario were fairly large on both sides being mostly 10-14 stands with Rebs having a few more Veteran units and one Crack (of which more later) so were fairly durable.
Union reserves appeared (including DG 'Le Duc' himself) at a steady rate and were initially drawn to my flank thwarting any chance I had of bursting from the thickets to threaten the hill.
Once our remaining 3 Brigades were released it turned into a major slug fest right across the battlefield, inevitable die to terrain and lack of room to manouvre.
I had one Veteran unit charge to its doom after repulsing 3 Union units it was then attacked on 3 sides and broken after losing a whopping 6 stands (although it did rally it remnants later).
I managed to push Wilcox Brigade (I do remember one !) through in the centre temporarily but Union numbers were growing and Reb casualties mounting.
We reached our Heavy Casualties level first so suffered a -2 to Maneuver rolls from then on.
JB on my right was involved in a more measured encounter with SP but again Union reserves arrived  to stymie any Reb breakout.
Things went awry in centre when I managed to get my Crack (several double entendre about this !) unit into combat with plenty of support against a Disordered but supported Union Regt and managed to amass a +6 combat advantage.
However.............I then rolled a 3 giving me a total of 9 but the 'temporary' dice demon then rolled a 10 repulsing my lads, more of a Rebel Whimper than a Yell.................
I was then hors de combat (ie I had to leave) so failed to see final outcome but Union had upper had only thing in doubt was if they could physically reach the original Reb lines.

Great game, great company and excellent hospitality what more could a simple little wargamer ask for......................................

The cast:

Union
RM - Richard Murphy
SP - Stephen Pollock
SB - Stephen Brittain (temporaily/umpire)
DG - Darren Graham

Confederates
JB - John Brittain (host)
and yours truly
SB took over once I left



The initial set up from Union end



























And the Confederate lines beyond the thickets





















Yanks advance








Only the Rebs on right were active initially
















Good view of the thicket area (broken ground with only 4" visibility within)







Static Rebs await










RM conducts the Union flow







Assisted by SPs arms










My left flank spoiling attacks go in







As rest of Rebs 'wake up' around church







SP and JB go at it







Lots of Yanks appear to stop my advance (I have drawn them in JB go for it !!!)







Going for it............sort of









My isolated unit pushing forward in centre with erstwhile supports lagging behind








This is not 2 Union units firing on each other (upper right) it just my unit used to be in between them.....................







I push in centre now.








As the gentlemanly war continues on my right as my Crack unit (partially visible on left) prepares to utter its 'whimper'.








Reb high water mark as more Union troops arrive







Left to right SB - DG - RM - SP - JB







Umpire umpiring








JB rueful as the day seems lost..................



2 comments:

  1. Wooooo, un escenario muy interesante y unas fotos increibles!!!

    ReplyDelete