Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Field Of Glory Napoleonic - 1812 France vs Russia

Another game with FOGN against Stephen this time using a French 1812 force against his Russian 1812 selection.
Russians ended up with Frontal Assault against my Envelopment (first time trying this) which I used to send a Chasseur Division on a flank march.
This along with 2 Skilled Commanders and several Veteran units allowed me to cause Russians a lot of problems by out maneuvering them at least initially.
My flank march arrived promptly on turn 2 but was thwarted somewhat by facing Cuirassier on that wing and getting slowed by some rough ground.
I had a large battery of Veteran 6pdrs which caused two Russian foot units to Waver with one withdrawing and it seemed I was gaining upper hand.
I had two shock Cavalry units (Carabiner and Cuirassier) on my left which charged an approaching Russian Infantry Division.
The Russians formed square and my Carabiners bounced off whilst the Cuirassier Passed Through the other square.
This proved fatal however as they were Disordered/Spent and were then charged by a supporting Hussar unit which duly broke them !
Stephen had fielded a couple of Large Russian Infantry units and these proved very tough especially with an Artillery and Cavalry attachment.
They put out a lot of firepower and are hard to damage with the ignoring 1 hit, this was also true for my Large Artillery.
Game turned when Russians managed to Rally 3 Wavering units and then in my Rally phase I failed to Rally 3 Wavering Veteran (!!) units which I knew would spell my doom.
So it proved as one of these units was charged by Cuirassier and they failed to form Square and also a Cohesion test for being charged.
Their breaking then broke two adjacent Veteran units as I singularly failed each and every test with these Veterans again.
With losses mounting I was one Wavering unit from defeat but then lost my 2 Chasseur units on my right as a Cuirassiers broke one then another in pursuit.
So a promising start which I failed to capitalise upon as my dice rolls in key match ups failed me and the inability to Rally Veteran units (which roll 3 dice) proved disastrous.
But once more an excellent and quick game.
We are finding games last 5-6 turns with the decisive shooting & combat outcomes of the system.




French left with Shock Cavalry and Veteran Infantry in centre






French right with Conscript Division on hill






Russians approach with Hussars hanging back in case my flankers arrive on left







Russian centre and left with Cuirassiers heading off to met my flanking Division






My flanking Light Horse arrive on shallow approach but have to cross rough ground







Large Russian foot unit absorbs attention of my whole Conscript Division









4 comments:

  1. Fine looking game!

    I'm not sure what the Large Russian units are supposed to represent; Russian infantry uinits were usually understrength if anything, often markedly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete, units are Regiments/Brigades and Russian can have large versions in 1812, in 1813/14 its small only due to 1812 losses.

      Delete
  2. Yes indeed, it looks grand. Topical for me too I'm painting Russians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If using standard 800pt armies in FOGN then armies are quite compact around 12-14 units plus Officers.

      Delete