Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Spearhead - A Patchwork Of Panzertruppen scenario

Played a micro-armour game today using the ever excellent Spearhead rules.
Unbelievably we last played these in 2011 !!!!!!!!!
Good grief how time flies.....................................

I set up a scenario from the East Front scenario supplement entitled 'A Patchwork Of Panzertruppen' set in November 1943 on the Nogay steppe.

I took the Fascists and Stephen the Reds.
Germans have a Panzerjager Abteilung with a Company of Stugs and 2 of Marders, with a an Armoured PzGren Bttns, 2 Motorizsed PzGren Battns and an Infantry Bttn with off-table support from a 105mm Regt.
Three of my Bttns were Veteran the other 2 Regulars

The Ivans had 2 Tank Brigades with T34/76 and T70 and associated Mech Bttn and another Mech Brigade of 2 Motorized Infantry Bttns.
Ivans had a Battery of 76mm attached (which Stephen chose to bring on-table) and from mid-game he could roll for air support from Sturmoviks.
Ivans were a mix of Green and Regulars.

Scenario is a sort of meeting engagement with both sides advancing onto the table and both able to use flank marches and reserves.

Game was excellent with the short shooting/spotting ranges in SH meaning units can maneuver much more than in most WW2 sets (only FOB is similar) constrained only by their orders (same system of 'arrows' with Attack and Defend orders as Shako - same author of course)  .
I out flanked with my Armd PzGr on my right on turn 3 and forced Ivans to commit a Tank Brigade from Reserve.
The Grenadiers however had no answer to the tanks and were forced to Break Off but survived.
The Ivans as it turned out had 2 Bttns outflanking on my left and both arrived on same turn enmass (one had been delayed 2 turns) and my left flank reinforced PzGr Bttn was soon overwhelmed and broken.
My PzJager stoutly refused to change orders (anything but a 1 for Germans !!) for 2 turns and this saw the Ivans therefore achieve victory by exiting 10 mobile Platoons of my rear edge.
Ivans did have an Mech Inf Bttn routed in center.
In fact losses were pretty even but the Russian flank moves proved successful turning the game in their favour despite Stephen constantly telling me how much better the Germans are in SH, even stating this is the set Hitler would want to use as I was removing destroyed Germans :-)
Only 1 Sturmovik appeared but did destroy 2 Inf Plts with its rockets.

I have always loved SH as a great set of WW2 rules especially for 6mm kit.
Lots of abstraction with focus firmly away from technical aspects such as armour thickness etc but it just 'feels' right doing 'just what it says it does'.
Hard to believe we have neglected this so long just so much choice so little time............




Terrain set up from German side






The German force










































Opening moves on my left










German Infantry Bttn arrives in center









Armoured PzGr faced by reserve Tank Brigade









Battle develops








Infantry Bttn moves to its left














PzGr breaking off trying to pull Russians onto Marder gun line








Stugs dominate central hill but refused to obey orders to march to left later








Huge Ivan force arrives on my left








German Infantry tries to intervene










Action in center









But Ivans are breaking out and PzGr Bttn evaporates













Russian Tank Brigade is routed on my right








But its too late as Ivans have achieved objective elsewhere

7 comments:

  1. Great looking game, and AAR! Inspiring me to pull out my Eastern Front forces. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah mine have lain dormant for far too long

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all the pictures,I think generally across the blogs, 6mm Spearhead has been absent for some time - nice to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes not seen an SH post for ages, strange as it’s a great system.

      Delete
  3. Game looks terrific! I ought to convince one of my buddies (both whom are Spearhead devotees) to bring Spearhead back to the table.
    Last time I played spearhead was in HO scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I could not believe I last played SH in 2011 !!

      Delete
  4. love your Spearhead stuff, cheers

    ReplyDelete