Thursday, April 23, 2020

Field of Battle 3 available (well in USA)

At last Field of Battle 3 is officially published (www.piquetwargames.com) along with the card decks (optional purchases as basic but usable sheets included with rules).
A PDF version is to be made available soon as well.
Sadly with US postal charges are just too prohibitive for me to buy direct, but Lancashire Games here in UK are due some stock of both rules and cards (hopefully available early May).
Cannot wait to get my hands on rules to see what changes Brent has wrought on by far my favourite Wargame rules.
I know that there are changes to card decks as in some wording changes and the somewhat superfluous Maneuver card has gone (function now in Leadership card).
Several rules tweaks such as limited Evasion by certain units is back, changes to Interpenetration, Movement and Terrain rules, and a few new concepts like 'Daring Deeds' by Officers and other such minor additions/changes to be revealed in fullness of time.
Also period specific rules and play sheets covering a plethora of wars in the horse and musket period (and for ECW period as a bonus).
The core FOB system is of course fully intact.
By far the biggest addition in this version is the inclusion of the 'Seasons of Battle' scenario generation system (I play tested an early version a couple of years ago) with associated terrain and scenario cards.
I really look forward to delving into and playing these most excellent rules again in their new iteration.






10 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to it too. A campaign system as well, that will be interesting. Some great days of gaming ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seasons of Battle is more of a scenario/battle generator than a full blown campaign system but a great addition.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to it as well! I live in Germany therefore no chance they will send copies here so I'll wait until it's available at Lancashire Games as you recommended as the P&P will still be cheaper that way then from the states.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. US postal charges have become awful in last couple of years ! Lancashire Games always reliable (other outlets may get copies ?)

      Delete
    2. Ordered my copy and cards today from Lancashire Games! Plan on showing it to my group when things get back to a bit more normal.

      Christopher

      Delete
    3. My order in too :-)

      Delete
  3. Putting a game with FoB3 on the table in May is a goal here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here as well but may still be a solo effort....................

      Delete
  4. Ah, I stand corrected still useful though. Lancashire will be placing an advert for FOB3 next week. Solo games all round I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh indeed very useful and certainly one could build a campaign around it. Mind you may have been expanded since I last saw playtest version in 2018.

      Delete