Thursday, August 03, 2023

Chain Of Command - another play of 'Attack on Mouen'

Had another bash with Chain of Command today with Stephen using the same 'Attack on Mouen' scenario (but this time as standard not Big Battle version).

I fielded the Scots and Stephen the SS and it was another interesting and fun game.

With less units (only 1 Platoon each) and supports (but still a bloody Tiger !) the game played much quicker than Saturdays 'big' version.

It was indeed a much different game as Stephen not known for rolling only 1 save out of 11 ever :-)

He got several extra phases early in game allowing his infantry to press forward before Scots could intervene, and then when I did get a phase my Command dice were pretty poor (1 x 6 1 x 5 and 3 x 4 is not ideal). 

The various options and combos of dice are a real feature of system and we both find them fun (or frustrating !) and easy to use in practice.

SS firepower superiority showed much better in this game as they were able to pour on continuous fire onto my chaps causing lots of hits which I then obligingly converted into multiple kills and shock.

A Tiger appeared which I did get the jump on with a 6pdr but only managed a single hit which was treated with due disdain and I had to place smoke from 2" mortar to stymie its effect.

I also had a pop with a Piat team on Ambush but again failed to scratch the big cats armour.

Meanwhile on my right I had 2 Sections broken and a turn ending use of a CoC Dice saw me lose my remaining 5 Morale (started on 8) due to loss of Junior Leaders.

Enjoyed CoC again and great to complete a game in reasonable time with minimal rules issues (only a couple things we were unsure off but found answers in rules or FAQ pretty easily).    

We did discuss the issue that had put us off CoC before ie the use of Mortar Barrages which do seem pretty powerful (not an option in the Scottish Corridor scenarios) but I can now see ways to mitigate (at least potentially) their effect in game mechanics.

We used our 15mm kit and whilst not ideally based for CoC it was easy enough to use 'change' for casualties and suchlike and the ranges do look better than larger scales in imho.



Fuzzy pic of German progress on their left







Two Scots sections Pinned and about to Break under deluge of fire






Tiger appears on central road




3 comments:

  1. Looked and sounded like a good game, Tigers really are a bugger, but I guess they were in real life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed nasty piece of kit in proper circumstances. In CoC you can at least target them as with 1" being under 5yds even the lowly PIAT has a whopping 36" range (chance to hit lessens after 9"). Hitting was not the problem doing anything useful with hits was another !

      Delete
  2. Cheers, we tried them several years ago but Stephen disliked the effect of mortar barrages, hence my cunning use of a scn without them :-)

    ReplyDelete