Thursday, April 25, 2024

Glory Is Fleeting - 1815 French versus British

Game with Stephen today sticking on our Napoleonic kick but using Glory Is Fleeting as change of pace from GDA.

Stephen selected 1815 British, with a Brunswick Division, so I accordingly used 1815 French Infantry Corps list (I had 12 units whilst Brits fielded 14).

The set up and strategy selection of this system is really genius generating plausible terrain and opposing plans, Stephen choose Flexible Defence from those I left him, and I went with Prepared Attack (not used before so wanted to try).

I made a mistake with terrain by moving a town into my deployment area which allowed Brits to utilise this as a strongpoint stuck into my set up area (I forgot these could be used when within 6" of halfway point) so a unit of Hanoverian Conscripts set up therein, with another similarly defending a second town area.

Built up areas are tough to take as you cant skirmish against them and units cannot forced out by firing (Wavering at worst) so they must be taken a bayonet point but not easy as defenders get to shoot (at all chargers) and then fight (against all still in contact).

I did send two units in against one town but both shot off by defenders so no combat.

My French had only two compulsory Light Cavalry units and these were opposed by two British Dragoons classed as Shock cavalry who easily rode them down (8 dice vs 5 in favour of Dragoons).

I did have two Veteran Divisions but the Brunswick Division include a unit of Hussars which forced some my units into Square (as being caught in Line is essentially a death sentence).

We failed to finish (too much waffle as always) but enjoyable game that was different to GDA but still felt Napoleonic at its higher level scale. 

Overall much easier to set up and play with points based armies which can be a definite  attraction at times (despite my preference for scenario style)

Poor pics again, I think I need new phone (or better specs)




View of French right with both occupied towns (Strongpoints) visible 






British Division in centre






French Light Cavalry in foreground where annihilated, and my Foot were repulsed from nearest town, two Veteran French Divisions in distance held their own against oppossing British and Brunswick Divisions. 



 

2 comments:

  1. Looks a great game, you sure do get to play a lot of games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mate and I usually play once per week (alternating between abodes), Society Meeting is once per month and then its solo stuff betwixt and between. There is actually a new gaming club (with several historical players) within 10min drive but not found time to get :-)

      Delete