Thursday, April 04, 2024

'Battle for the Puebla Heights' scenario with General d'Armee 2

Game at Stephens today using GDA2 again this time with a scenario from the Vitoria supplement based on action around Puebla Heights June 1813.

I was defending French and Stephen used his British/Allied force with a first ever appearance of a Brigade of Spanish units.

I misunderstood the ability of Light Infantry to be able to skirmish in any rough ground (I thought it was only in cover such as woods) so mis-deployed my Light Infantry heavy Brigade in centre instead of on the Puebla Heights (classed as rough terrain).

Stephen offered to allow a redeploy but I stuck with my error and a Brigade of standard foot occupied the heights.

As it turned out this had little effect as this Brigade managed to be Hesistant for a full 7 of the 9 tunes we completed.

I had terrible ADC rolls on several turns including one with only 1 being available so used the Chief Of Staff order to counter this but the twits on heights still went Hesitant even when given a Brigade re-roll !

Allied skirmishing rolls were pretty awesome throughout (Stephen rolled maximum hits several times) and my Skirmish Screens were soon decimated.

I had a couple of Faltering Brigades at one point so availed of the new 'Stand With Me' CinC order (essentially a Rallying call to one Brigade).

Stephen also used both his CinC commands to 'Commit Reserves' and a 'Post of Honour' to aid a charge.

These CinC commands add a nice new level of decisions/options with the command system. 





My leftmost Brigade on Puebla Heights in usual Hesitant status







My mis-deployed Light Infantry arrayed in centre (unable to skirmish as in open)






Subijana village a tactical objective. I mounted a limited counterattacked on this flank drawing the Portugese reserves to this flank






Skirmish phase well underway 






Gap on my left that my own reserves were to fill






There seemed to be an awful lot of the enemy (only 3-4 more units but being in Lines made them seem more numerous)







My reserves under St Pol have plugged gap but I am now nearly bereft of skirmishing units






Hesitant on left yet again as Spanish put on pressure






Stalemate in centre






My right flank well outnumbered (this Brigade Faltered and twas here I used 'Stand With Me')






Allied skirmishers having free reign (skirmishers are pretty good especially if they gain ascendancy and no cavalry about and we rate them much better than a Recruit foot unit)


4 comments:

  1. Nice looking table and action. Good to see such good sportsmanship re the deployment of the lights, it the sort of thing that totally elevates the face-to-face game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes a nice change from the black eyes and swollen lips we usually give each other :-)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed the report and look of the game.

    ReplyDelete