Sunday, January 26, 2020

Bataille Empire at Ulster Wargames Society

Game with Stephen today at UWS (which we both formally joined for 2020) using Bataille Empire.
I tried Prussians for Autumn 1813 against French from same period both using 200pt armies.
Lots of Landwehr types for Prussians but did field 20 units so probably largest force I have used yet.
Was asked by Jeremy the Club Chairman before Stephen arrived what we were playing and I advised it was BE and therefore likely to be a ‘shouty game’ !
I had been reticent to use BE as we have really fully comprehended or absorb them but it was a last gasp choice after yesterdays game.
And so it turned out with ‘discussion’ (not too loud I hope ? Note to Dave if you think was us being over competitive or upset just wait until the dice start targeting head areas !) regarding a couple of aspects of shooting and ricochets (bounce through) and Rallying troops under Attack Orders.
BE is a tad ambiguous at times which I do think is often down to translation issues from original French but there is I feel a good flavoursome Napoleonic game therein (well unless fielding Russian Musketeers) hopefully worth the effort expended to learn them.
We failed to finish as Stephen had an HMV event to attend but I did find the Prussians much more viable opponents than Russians without resorting to gimmick/novelty tactics/army composition

Also at club there was a large 6mm Sudan Wars game run by Lesley which I think he said was using a variant of Pony Wars rules.
A Field Of Glory 3 Ancients game as well (Late Roman vs Carolingian)
I failed to take any pics of either of these, must do better !,
Club also had its AGM and decision made to have an open day at September meeting with Lesley making us all feel very old with his desire to recruit new blood before we pass on
A admirable aim but I do think it will be hard to entice todays ‘oiks’ to take up Historical Wargaming (a niche within a niche especially in N.Ireland) but time will tell (if we are not all dead in meantime !)
Also tried to produce a ‘programme’ of games throughout year and I have offered (what was I thinking !?) to run a FOB game at end of February.
I was also almost ‘nominated’ as club bouncer/enforcer :-)













4 comments:

  1. Thanks Gary .... bought it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bare no responsibility for your mental well being

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed that you keep so many napoleonic systems in your head in the first place. The intro scenario looks like it could be usefully applied to quite a lot of periods and systems to test and compare rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more set of voices in my head is nothing its a cacophony in there anyhow ! :-)

      Yes nice generic symmetrical starter scenario although we went straight to points lists and full orders and play sequence. You can lay with simplified sequence and without orders but i did not find either overly taxing compared to other stuff.

      Delete