Friday, January 24, 2020

Field Of Battle - Sickles Salient at Gettysburg

Another game with Field Of Battle 2 (so my last game was not.....er.....my last) this time at Stephens with an American Civil War scenario he had set up entitled 'Sickles Salient' from an action during Gettysburg around 'the Peach Orchard'.

Stephen picked FOB which was more than fine with me !
I selected to attack with Rebels as 1. am glutton for punishment and 2. a chance to blood first 4 Rebel units I have painted up.

Not much in way of house rules other than, when a unit that goes Out of Command in the open it is counted as being 'Prone' meaning Down1 when a target but cannot move forward at all.
Couple of tweaks to Musket and Rifled Musket ranges and Artillery otherwise pretty standard.

Scenario has most of Rebel artillery off-table so we just counted as always firing at Extreme Range (Stephen had all Artillery as C10 D6 but we changed it to C12 D6 during game as all Heavy Batteries).

Rebels had skilled deck with 1 extra Melee Card (Rebel Yell) and Union had Average deck with a Breach-loader card (as one unit so equipped).
Most troops average (C10 D6) but Rebels had one Crack Brigade (C10 D8) under Barksdale who survived the fray unlike historically.

I did manage to get one unit into the Peach Orchard but quickly driven out again and stymied every where else by musket volleys and Artillery (Stephen was lucky early on with Artillery re-loads and a re-shuffle), my Brigades on my right just too slow getting into action, an aspect of FOB that few if any sets emulate but which just rings true compared to historical accounts of unforeseen events/circumstances and expectations vis reality.
I so much prefer this to predictable standardized move rates and sequences of play, so much more exciting and plausible.
I do concede that for some it could seem that the game is playing them rather than them playing the game, but I think that is only until you play enough to fully understand the 'model' of the system.
You pays your money and takes your choice I guess but personally I prefer less game than too much gaminess (is that Gorgonzolla I smell !?) and when it comes down to it and find FOB just strikes right balance for me overall :-)


As always with FOB (I do sound like a stuck record) a great game that played fast and delivered an exciting game with a definite result in reasonable time frame (deducting our copious waffling about other rules/games/periods etc etc it was about 3 hours solid game play time).
No guesses for what that result was against the 'Dice Demon' (I think he can actually manipulate card draws as well !!!

My new units done okay (at least by my standards) with one unit being mentioned in dispatches for threatening enemy flank, standing up to numerous volleys and when charged whilst rolling a measly D4 it managed to roll a 4 and gasp ! .......shock ! ......... swoon ! ...... the dice demon rolled a 1 !!!!
Of course by this stage I had no Morale left so a insignificant victory (but one of which I shall remind him on occasion).


++ Sad Sack moment ++ 
Whilst waffling we did discuss that when moving figures, firing or charging/fighting, we don't just see toy soldiers on an abstract table with plastic trees and bits of felt or resin we 'see' a battle scene from a historical account or painting or a movie !!!
It is as I stated my form of 'role playing' (other than Doctors and Nurses of course), pure escapism or whatever and indeed it is a big part of why I play Wargames of all forms.
I am similarly engrossed/transported by Board Wargames and PC games.
This in addition to the joy of the competition of minds, dice rolling (not to be under-estimated as a source of euphoria or indeed despair !!) and the reading/researching/painting/collecting aspects of this great hobby (more like a life-style choice) and that is not to disregard the social interaction which ensues whether with face to face play or via the Internet (an awesome but time intensive aspect nowadays).

I suspect most if not all Wargamers 'suffer' from this affliction to a greater or lesser degree ?
Is it any wonder my wife thinks I am a big child at times ! :-)















Oh and tomorrow its UWS club time and Stephen and I will be playing a Napoleonic game using Bataille Empire, because why not as you are a long time in the ground !!








Rebel centre







Union ensconced in and around Peach Orchard









Union left flank









Rebels suffering from Artillery








Rebels approach Orchard










And suffering again








Advance in centre slowed by woods







Reserves on Rebel right slowly plod forward








Battle intensifies on my left (new units on far left) with 'heroes' in orchard flanking Union line but have gone 'Prone' under fire.








Pretty much undamaged Union lines








Rebel Regiment pushes into orchard, albeit temporarily








"Hurry the feck up !!" was the cry on right but fell on deaf ears








Union troops in wood look on unconcerned








Rebel losses mounting and so many units Prone/Out of Command that advance has now faltered








Note right wing still languishing too far back











Rebel high water mark (Union barely got wet really)









Pushed back out of orchard on right and stuck on Emittsburg road elsewhere








Fences proving a pain along road (half speed to cross and Up1 to stationary defender)








Reserves finally arrive on right but too bloody late










No headway at orchards in centre








Or on left









Rebel morale breaks and they quit the field.................











Stuck at stream (cost 1 Move segment to cross) and with Union troops intact would likely be a hiding to nothing.



6 comments:

  1. Excellent. I fully get the the thing about the minds eye ‘putting you there’ and likewise, a boardgame can do that to me also, it transforms a game to another level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norman, great minds think alike will ignore rest of that quote ! :-)

      Delete
  2. "Peachy" looking game, and of course my favorite rules as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked Peaches and now not overly fond of orchards either ! :-)

      Delete
  3. Great looking game! I agree completely about FOB being THE set of rules! It has become our holy grail of miniature rules at this level of combat. Nothing else comes close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, my desert island set without a doubt, others scratch different itches but none satisfy like FOB, yeesh sounds like a commercial for pile cream !!

      Delete