Saturday, September 05, 2026

Vimerio 1808 with Field of Battle 3

Game at Hughs to blood his newly installed wargames table and his Napoleonic British.

Used FOB3 (shock ! horror ! gasp!) and an adaptation of a GDB scenario based on Vimerio Spain 1808.

Hugh of course used his Brits so I was attacking Frenchies.

I massed my units on my right mostly ignoring the ridge and Hugh adjusted his deployment to match mine.

Hugh advanced off the ridge on my left where he had a numbers advantage but it was into a devastating fusillade of fire from my veteran Legere and a supporting gun battery and he lost a unit outright and another routed compelling him to retire back onto the slope. 

Around the vineyards I had my 2nd rate troops in attack columns trying to force back a crack unit of British Rifles (95th) but they proved way too tough for lowly militia to deal with.

On my right I charged a British Line unit with two attack columns but failed miserably (I rolled a D12+1 vs a D6 then a D12 vs D6 then another D12 vs D6 but still lost the melee even  use of Tactical Advantage cards could not inspire my troops !!) and was repulsed.

However in center my artillery was playing havoc with British routing or destroying units although the British artillery also decimated a Ligne unit.

Both armies Morale pools were modest (Brits 19, French 20) and we were bleeding morale steadily.

Thankfully British ran out of morale first and gifted me three morale (I had only 5 left of my own), and so when Hugh pulled an inevitable Morale Card he had to test and failed forcing the British (under Arthur Wellesley no less) to yield the field with much cheering from the French ranks and guldering from moi.

Usual high and lows, groans and yelps of delight or despair that one gets with FOB.




Action near vineyards as Royal Artillery pummel my lines






Struggle in vineyards as my 2nd rate types manfully take on the 95th






The 95th were too strong and I am under pressure on right after failed charges






French Ligne unit routs after pounding by guns and volleys of muskets






British set up on ridge but failed when trying to turn French left






Skirmishers try to soften up the 95th






Initial deployments (I massed to right)





British had 2 Brigades on table at start with 3rd arriving to right of village



No comments:

Post a Comment