Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Field Of Glory Napoleonic: French versus British 1815

Another go with FOGN today at Stephens, where he chose to use 1815 British and so accordingly I chose 1815 French.

My French based around an Infantry Corps and British the same although he had a Division of Brunswick assisting.

I chose Probe as strategy and British took Prepared Defence.

British managed to get a Strong-point position on my left but I had placed a River (first time for everything) which being classed as difficult effectively sealed of the left flank on mt table side.

I had Battery of Heavy Guns which I placed against the strong-point occupied by a large unit of Hanoverian Conscripts but they failed to do more that Disorder the Germans who Rallied without problems.

A large battery of British Medium Guns caused several Cohesion hits on my opposing units however.

In the center we had 2 Infantry Divisions apiece facing off against each other and as always against the 'Dice Demon' I was as ever out shot at every juncture including a couple of unit shot to Wavering status......ouch again.

On my right it was a Cavalry versus Cavalry match-up.
I had a unit of Dragoons and 2 Chasseurs faced by Impetuous British Mounted with two units of Shock Heavy Cavalry one led by a Brigadier.
The British charged first and chased off my Dragoons and one Chasseur both Wavered.
However (in my only success of the day.......well sort of............) I managed to outflank a Pursuing unit (which Routed the retiring Chasseurs) and this Disordered the British.
However we both ended up on 5 dice each but with my needing 3+ and the British 4+ to hit.
So odds in my favour you would think but no I roll a mere 2 hits the British 4 (without needing any re-rolls from attached Commander) !!!!!
Both units went Wavered and only my charging first forced the British back.

Sadly by this time I had lost 4 units with a further 5 in Wavering status whilst British had just 2 units Wavered so French yielded the field.

I just cannot out-dice the 'Demon' especially when dice hate me ! although to be fair I did pass every test for units Routing through, past or nearby of which there were several !!

However another fun and interesting game with this very playable set of rules.




Initial French moves (Reserve command has arrived on right center)







My Mounted Divn also arrived on turn 1 on my right flank






Central Divn moves up






Heavy Guns 'pound' the town....hah !








French 3rd Inf Divn advances







French Cavalry arrayed








British left wing 







British right and Brunswick Divn in center








French "coming on in the same old way"








And being "dealt with in the same old way" 







French Legere gone and other units Wavering








Wavering all across the line








Chasseurs having chased of British heavies but of course Wavering.




4 comments:

  1. Looks great! May I ask about your basing system, particularly sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stuff was originally done for Lasalle (but works for most sets especially FOGN) Inf are on 40mm x 30mm bases 6-8 to a base (3 for Light Inf/skirmish attachments an option), Cavalry are on same but with 3 per base. Guns are on 40mm x 40mm as I found 30mm depth bit tight. Commanders are also on 40 x 40 with ADCs and limbers on various spare bits of basing no fixed sizes. Bases covered with ground basing material (Bastex) then dry brushed in water based paints and then flocked and stuff like rocks and tufts applied all fairly quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First rule of wargaming...
    You can't out-dice the dice-demon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not when it matters in a game nope

    ReplyDelete