Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Field Of Battle - Zorndorf and an old enemy..................

Game of FOB today with an old adversary, Hugh.
I set up Zorndorf scenario to teach Hugh the rules and he choose to be the Russians giving me command of the Prussians.
As ever with FOB an excellent and indeed hard fought encounter generating an excellent battle narrative and so easy to teach.
Hugh picked up the mechanics fairly easily and we soon got down to a bloody affair.
My initial card draws and dice rolls were as ever poor stymieing my attempts to manovure.
Hughs rolls had me in fear for a while of fighting another 'dice demon' as he rolled constant 8 on his D8 and D10 rolls.
This saw my 'Elite' Cuirassier on my right wing being repelled by lowly Irregular Hussars and Cossacks !!
I had D12 attack versus D4 and still lost (1 vs 4 rolled !).
However about mid way through game my left flank forces began a steady drain of casualties on the Russians reducing their Morale Pool.
I had a nice run of Leadership Cards (exceptional deck helped) that allowed me to several damaged units and recover to Routing units as well.
This helped thwart Hughs attempts to push me back and for Prussians to inflict more dmage on Russians with several units Routing off table and a couple being destroyed outright by my remaining Cuirassier (I had however lost two others !)
Eventually Russian Morale ran out and Hugh was handing me Morale chips and the Russian lot was up.
However in a final act of defiance Hugh managed to pass 2 Army Morale Checks (very stoic these Russians) but we called time before his inevitable collapse.
All in all a great game and I hope an enticing introduction to FOB for Hugh who did agree that FOB generates a fast flowing game full of incident and story.


The lighting was all of the show today with some fierce sunlight at times.



Prussian centre with Kanitz command attempting to flow to right (they failed to move twice !)







Later they suffered at hands of Russian guns as Matueffels Grenadiers occupied the wood










Prussians try to take left end of steam whilst Mounted wing try to take hill










Von Seydlitzs horse ready themselves on left (I lost a Cuirassier here too)






Hugh ponders his next move as Von Seydlitz force cross the stream







Note on my far right the hill remains untaken






An eerie light casts itself across the battlefield









Battle of the 'u-bend' continues









Temporary stalemate on left







Prussian foot move right from 'u-bend' to take the hill for their erstwhile mounted friends







Heavy fighting on left as Rusians surge forward sending volleys into my horse units







Russian Infantry trying to extricate themselves from 'u-bend' (they routed from as devastating volley from a unit of Musketeers) 


9 comments:

  1. Looks like a sunny battle! Perhaps the sun was in the Russians' eyes hampering there performance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was dazzling us both hence blinds closed at times. Should not really complain about good weather here in October !

      Delete
    2. Yep the sun got in our eyes...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!
      But a very interesting fast paced set of rules. Very good if you wish to fight a battle as opposed to playing a game

      Delete
    3. Glad you enjoyed the game. Look forward to more encounters and trying Rommel with your 6mm kit

      Delete
    4. I look forward to seeing Rommel battles in 6mm.

      Delete
    5. So am I !! But i would not hold your breath :-)

      Delete
  2. A great looking game Sgt! Doesn't it drive you mad, when you get yourself in a great position with great troops, then the bloody dice smack you round the chops like that!

    The 7YW was the first ever period I painted up many moons ago. Never played these rules though, Postie owns all the figures now, so I'll tell him about the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am already fully round bend so no additional effect from dice :-)
    I love FOB but are somewhat of a marmite set as some detest the high random elements whereas that and overall fast play nature makes set for me
    I did a couple of UTube vids couple of years ago which might assist
    I would hold of acquiring them as 3rd edition due soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that Hugh's into to FoB seemed to go well!

    ReplyDelete