Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Field Of Glory: Napoleonic - short and sharp

 

Game of FOGN today circa 1812 with me fielding Russians in Prepared Defence against French (a rather specific 1812 list with a Corps under Ney) using envelopment.

I initially managed to get decent terrain to close off my left flank but French managed to move it 12" to open up flank.

My being stuck with no advance for 2 turns proved a boon to French as able to hold back or manouvre their 2 Infantry Divisions unmolested as flank attacks developed.

Pretty quick game (under 2 hours in total) as French cavalry literally overran everything in their path.

Stephen flanked deep on both flanks and both marches arrived on 2nd turn.

He had a unit of Superior Hussars with another in support charging a unit of Russian Superior Hussars on my right so 7 dice to French vs 5 dice to Russians.

I preceded to roll 2 hits and with no re-rolls possible and French totaled 7 hits out of 7 after a couple of re-rolls, total overkill as 5 hits would have same devastating effect.

French Cuirassier on my left appeared and whilst I got first charge in with 2 Dragoon units I was again overpowered as whilst I threw a General in the French had a General and a Officer with a unit of Light Lancers supporting both units (I suspect this is benefit of this specific French list).

So I had 10 dice total versus 14 dice total...........you know whats coming............I totaled 3 hits on 1 unit (good enough to try to kill attached General........but nope)  and a mere 1 hit on the other (even with re-rolls) whilst sustaining 6 hits on each of my units so another 2 Routed units

Out of 15 dice in 3 combats I managed 6 hits whilst French managed 19 hits out of 21 simply awesome and unstoppable.

No way back from that especially as an Infantry unit hit on flank by pursuing Cuirassier and subsequently Routed. 

Game ended with my suffering 40% losses compared to only 10% on French (mainly Spent Cavalry).

Shock Heavy Cavalry 'powered' by Leaders/Officers are simply awesome especially if Superior and only effective counter to them is to field your own versions or so it seems to us.









No comments:

Post a Comment