Sunday, February 09, 2020

Battle Magazine for Wargamers - pictastic pic post

Found a bunch of pics I had taken several years ago from Battle Magazine (before putting up into loft for storage) and thought some might like the nostalgia.
These are from issues from 1976 back when I started historical wargaming as a 12 year old (did I really look like some in these pics !!) through to 1978 before Battle was incorporated with Military Modelling.
Lots of stuff from Wargames Holiday Center from Peter Gilder and lots from other luminaries like Keith (or was it Phil ?) Robinson, Ian Weekly, Bill Gaskin, Peter Dennis and others I cannot recall.
All inspirational and aspirational for a young wargamer. 









































































































15 comments:

  1. So many great photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes very nostalgic or crikey do I feel old !!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, thanks for doing all of that. We certainly lost something when Battle disappeared. I remember the long hot 1976 summer with my blue covered battled. It had a replay of an action in Italy with a monastery on a hill and there were two Elephant tank destroyers in the German Order-of-Battle. I read it, re-read, re-read it ... repeat, wonderful mag, wonderful times of exploring a new hobby. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recall that series of WW2 Italian Theatre articles well. 'Shelldrake' the Artillery Officer always stuck with me. Sadly I was mising the first couple of articles re set-up and background but still excellent read indeed :-)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! In my early days I had a few precious copies of Battle, inspirational stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I had about 10 issues wish I had a few more

      Delete
  4. Monumental post!! I was a baby that time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good old days. Not only that the figures were looking well already, but some of the guys had neckties and were more looking like going to a dinner. (I sometimes play with a tie myself, but it's not easy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes shirt and tie pretty much the norm then.

      Delete
  6. What a great post some pics in there that I hadn't seen before still inspirational after all these years.

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when I found them I felt same hence thought nice to share the nostalgia.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting these pictures. Many I haven't seen before but I remember a lot of those near the beginning of the post. Battle got me interested in the ECW, I used to spend my school holidays busily painting Hinchliffe figures inspired by the articles on the various battles in the magazine. Wonderful memories, a pity it was swallowed up by Military Modelling. You just knew that would be the end of it, like Battlegames and MW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff! Especially the photos of Peter Gilder's Napoleonics and Phil Robinson's 18th century figures. Yes, STILL inspiring.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete